Flying Finn Konsta Lappalainen and his Emil Frey Racing team mates Tuomas Tujula and Stuart White made superb job in legendary SPA-Francorchamps 24 hours event. After intense one day of racing they collect bronze position in Silver Cup standings.
Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo drivers started the weekend with excellent result in qualifying as they drove top-20 result and therefore Lappalainen was able to drive his first-ever Super Pole laps. In 24 hours race they managed to avoid big drama. However one puncture and few small impacts to fellow competitors reduced the chances to drive for Silver Cup victory. Still bronze position in one of the most appreciated event of the season is one of the most precious achievement Lappalainen has secured in his long motorsport career.
– A year ago our car suffered a huge crash in 10th lap of the race and therefore I wasn’t able to drive in the race. Now firstly we managed to collect top-20 position and then secondly my team nominated me to drive two Super Pole laps. Therefore two of my season goals were fullfilled as I was able to enjoy the most best moments of my motorsport career, Lappalainen tells.
– In 24 hours race I drove the seven kilometres lap altogether over seven hours time. It was thrilling to drive as the feeling in the car as well as among team members was very emotional as we competed for the group victory. However as we overtook fellow drivers we encoutered small impacts which cost us valuable time. Then we suffered one puncture and it was game over for the victory which we eventually lost just by one lap in 533 laps. I’m more than very happy for the superb weekend and ofcourse for the podium position, Lappalainen joyed.
Another Flying Finn Patrick Kujala delivered more success for Finland. As Konsta Lappalainen and Tuomas Tujula were 3rd fastest in Silver Cup, Kujala was 5th. In GT World Challenge Endurance European Championship series standings Lappalainen is in fourth position as there are still two rounds to be driven. Next event for Konsta Lappalainen is Nurburgring weekend of ADAC GT Masters.
1. Thomas Neubauer (FRA) & Benjamin Goethe (POL) & Jean-Baptiste Simmenauer (FRA), Audi R8 LMS Evo II GT3, 533 laps
2. Nicolas Schöll (AUT) & Alex Aka (GER) & Marius Zug (GER), Audi R8 LMS Evo II GT3, +1 lap
3. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Tuomas Tujula (FIN) & Stuart White (SFA), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, +1 lap
4. Baptiste Moulin (BEL) & Mattia Michelotto (ITA) & Marcus Paverud (DEN) & Michael Dörrbecker (MEX), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, +5 laps
5. Sean Walkinshaw, Oscar Tunjo (KOL), Patrick Kujala (FIN), Ezequiel Perez Companc (ARG), Mercedes-AMG GT3, +6 laps
1. Thomas Neubauer (FRA) & Benjamin Goethe (POL) & Jean-Baptiste Simmenauer (FRA), 84p
2. Nicolas Schöll (AUT) & Alex Aka (GER) & Marius Zug (GER), 50p
3. Al Faisal Al Zubair (OMA) & Axcil Jefferies (ZIM) & Fabian Schiller (GER), 44p
4. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Tuomas Tujula (FIN) & Stuart White (SFA), 33p
5. Jordan Love (NZL) & Alain Valente (SUI) & Jannes Fittje (GER), 31p