Reigning bronze medalist of ADAC GT Masters and GT World Challenge Endurance racing series, Flying Finn Konsta Lappalainen, age of 22, drove one of his best stint ever in second racing weekend of GT World Challenge Europe, which was driven in traditional italian racing circuit of Misano. Together with Emil Frey Racing team mate, italian Giacomo Altoe, they were second fastest in overall standings of Saturdays 60 minute event. In Sundays one hour event they were 6th fastest in overall classifications.
– I was well prepared for the intense racing weekend which was driven in very hot and humid conditions. In previous weekend I shaked my wrists in Formula Regional by Alpine European Championship round in Mugello as a KIC Motorsport driver. Therefore I knew what was coming and therefore we were able to collect P2 in Saturday and P4 in Sundays qualifyings. In Saturdays 60 minute event we made nearly a perfect performance and therefore we secured 2nd position in overall classifications. In Sundays event we had a miserable pitstop and lost few valuable seconds. This caused us to drop from 4th to 6th position, Lappalainen told.
– Due 2nd highest podium points we managed to keep the gap for silver overall standing position in six points. Therefore we’re steadly in hunt for the Championship title as there are still six rounds to be driven. I’m very happy to be able to challenge the top drivers like nine-times Moto-GP World Champion Valentino Rossi who secured overall victory in Sundays race. I’m very happy to enter for a summer break with a feeling that now I’ve taken another step towards top GT3-drivers in the World. We have had lots and lots of work to get us this position and now I’m very happy to drive for overall podium positions, Lappalainen continues.
During three seaons the Finn Konsta Lappalainen has made a breahthru to top group in GT3 racing series. Now also Valentino Rossi has made same progress and is also competing in top group with brand new BMW M4 GT3-car. In season 2023 he has also collect success in Michelin Le Mans Cup GT3-series.
Next two rounds for GT World Challenge Europe Sprint series is to be driven in first weekend of September at German circuit of Hockenheim.
1. Raffaele Marciello (SUI) & Timur Boguslavskiy (ANA), Mercedes-AMG GT3 EVO, 38 laps
2. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Giacomo Altoe (ITA), Ferrari 296 GT3, +7,461s
3. Charles Weerts (BEL) & Dries Vanthoor (BEL), BMW M4 GT3, +15,909s
4. Fréderic Vervisch (BEL) & Nicolas Baert (BEL), Audi R8 LMS GT3 EVO II, +18,057s
5. Alberto Costa (ESP) & Thierry Vermeulen (NDL), Ferrari 296 GT3, +18,438s
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) & Maxime Martin (BEL), BMW M4 GT3, 36 laps
2. Lucas Legret (SUI) & Christopher Haase (GER), Audi R8 LMS GT3 EVO II +4,243s
3. Jean-Baptiste Simmenauer & Thomas Neubauer (FRA), BMW M4 GT3, +6,105s
6. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Giacomo Altoe (ITA), Ferrari 296 GT3, +12,470s
1. Raffaele Marciello (SUI) & Timur Boguslavskiy (ANA), Mercedes-AMG GT3 EVO, 47p
2. Valentino Rossi (ITA) & Maxime Martin (BEL), BMW M4 GT3, 30,5p
3. Charles Weerts (BEL) & Dries Vanthoor (BEL), BMW M4 GT3, 30,5p
6. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Giacomo Altoe (ITA), Ferrari 296 GT3, 24,5p