Three weeks ago Flying Finn Konsta Lappalainen drove his first racing weekend of season 2022 in italian circuit of Imola as GT World Challenge Endurance racing series got underway. Now in third weekend of April it was time for the opening round of ADAC GT Masters which was driven in 3,6 kms German circuit of Oschersleben.
In two intense one hour races Lappalainen collect one podium position with his Austrian team mate Mick Wishofer. Because of steady competition weekend, they’re now in second position in junior classifications – Just one point behind leader, German Jusuf Owega.
In season 2022 Konsta Lappalainen competes with Swiss Emil Frey Racing Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo. For Saturdays’ race they entered in 7th position and finished it in same position in overall classifications. Wishofer was able to pick two positions but as Lappalainen made one small mistake in his own stint, they had to satisfy for 7th position and 3rd in juniors. However their goals were fullfilled because of podium position from opening round of highly competitive ADAC GT Masters racing series.
For Sundays’ race they entered in 11th starting position and finished the event in 14th position. Even they finished far beyond podium position they’re still in second position in juniors standings as there are still 12 rounds to be driven.
– In ADAC GT Masters racing series teams cannot warm-up the tires before the event. Therefore we had difficulties to warm the tyres to optimal temperature. And if I wouldn’t had made that one mistake, we could have finished the race in 5th position in overall classifications. Also if in Saturday I would have been in better speed at qualifyings, we would now be the leaders of Junior group, Lappalalainen tells.
– We have to be very happy for podium position because ADAC GT Masters is one of the toughest GT Racing series in the World. However I’m not happy for my performance and therefore I have some homeworks to do for next three weeks. Still we collect good points from the opening weekend and therefore the starting position for next Red Bull Ring racing weekend is not bad at all, Lappalainen tells.
There were also two other Finns competing in ADAC GT Masters Oschersleben. In Saturdays’ race Jesse Krohn collect 8th and in Sundays’ race 4th position in overall standings. Another Flying FInn Elias Seppänen was forced to retire in Saturday and on Sunday he was 19th fastest in overall classifications.
1. Ricardo Feller (SUI) & Jusuf Owega (GER), Audi R8 LMS Evo II GT3, 43 laps
2. Sven Muller (GER) & Joel Sturm (GER), Porsche 911 GT3 R, +4,443s
3. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Mick Wishofer (AUT), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO, +28,769s
1. Fabian Schiller (GER) & Jules Gounon (FRA), Mercedes AMG GT3, 43 laps
2. Ricardo Feller (SUI) & Jusuf Owega (GER), Audi R8 LMS Evo II GT3, +17,759s
3. Kim-Luis Schramm (GER) & Dennis Marschall (GER), Audi LMS Ultra GT3, +17,922s
11. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Mick Wishofer (AUT), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO, +29,257s
1. Jusuf Owega (GER), 25p
2. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Mick Wishofer (GER), 24p
3. Joel Sturm (GER), 20p
4. Niklas Krütten (GER), 16,5p
5. Ben Green, (GBR) 16.5p