20.6.2021 – Konsta Lappalainen secured his best-ever result in his GT-motorsport career on the Zandvoort track in the Netherlands – Podium was denied only by 4,678 seconds
In current competition season the Flying Finn Konsta Lappalainen competes in GT World Challenge Sprint and GT World Challenge Endurance racing series with the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO car, which is run and maintenanced by famous Swiss Emil Frey Racing. In second racing weekend of the Sprint series, which was driven in Dutch Zandvoort circuit, Konsta and his British teammate Jack Aitken collect their season best result by being fourth fastest team in Sundays race.
In Saturday’s one hour event Konsta and Jack didn’t get the most out of their car. Thus 15th place was a big disappointment. However, the fourth race of the season, which was driven on Sunday, they made superb job as they celebrated fourth place in the overall classifications. As Emil Frey Racing collect positions P1, P2 and P4, it was truly a race to remember for a long time.
Lappalainen himself was also thrilled by the result he and his team achieved, which was also the best in his GT-motorsport career to date.
– Compared to expectations the fourth position in overall classifications was more than I could ever expect. Although my teammate Jack Aitken started from the 7th starting position and in the middle of the race delivered the car to me in a 5th position, I wouldn’t have thought that we would collect 4th highest Championship points as there many factory team cars were also behind us. We suffered some damages during the race and therefore I had to drove my stint with a steering wheel which was in incorrect position. Still, I managed to gain one position and as I was able to keep 4th position to chequred flag, I’m very happy for our performance, Konsta Lappalainen tells.
– Throughout the first part of the season we have had challenges with car setups. However now at Zandvoort the setups were perfect as our team collect the win, silver and fourth place. Therefore, the direction of my and our team development is now in right course as we now head for test sessions of Belgium SPA-Francorchamps 24 hours endurance race. From Belgium I travel to Italian circuit of Misano for the third racing weekend of this GT World Challenge Sprint series. So no time for holidays, Lappalainen continues.
There was also two other Flying Finns competing in the event. Juuso Puhakka narrowly missed out on the podium in the Silver Cup class in both races as Puhakka was fifth fastest on Saturday and 11th on Sunday. Tuomas Tujula retired the Saturday race and was 15th fastest on Sunday.
Final results GT World Challenge Zantvoort, Saturday 19.6.2021: Top-3:
1. Ricardo Feller (SUI) & Alex Fontana (SUI), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, 37 laps
2. Timur Boguslavskiy (RUS) & Raffaele Marciello (ITA), Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo, +9,628s
3. Ulysse de Pauw (BEL) & Alexandre Jean Pierre (FRA), Bentley Continental GT3, +13,696s
15. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Jack Aitken (GBR), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, +57,498s
Final results GT World Challenge Zantvoort, Sunday 20.6.2021: Top-4:
1. Norbert Siedler (AUT) & Albert Costa (ESP), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, 37 laps
2. Ricardo Feller (SUI) & Alex Fontana (SUI), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, +10,954s
3. Charles Weerts (BEL) & Dries Vanthoor (BEL), Audi R8 LMS GT3, +24,121s
4. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN) & Jack Aitken (GBR), Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo, +28,799s