30.10.2021 – Konsta Lappalainen wrapped his season 2021 in Formula Regional by Alpine racing series – Gamble with car setups didn’t deliver desired result in italian Temple of Speed
In season 2021 Flying Finn Konsta Lappalainen took a bold step by entering GT World Challenge European Endurance and Sprint series with top team, swiss Emil Frey Racing. Now in final weekend of October he was invited to join his previous team, finnish KIC Motorsport, to compete in final round of Formula Regional by Alpine racing series at italian circuit of Monza.
Lappalainen joined the team after having nearly a year pause from Formula Regional car. Now he entered the weekend as a team mate for reigning Formula Regional European series Champion, brazilian Gianluca Petecof and german Nico Göhler.
Even in practice sessions he quickly got familiarized with the tool he had previously driven in seasons 2019 and 2020, the gamble in Saturdays’ race with car setups and a collision in Sundays’ race left him positions which weren’t the one he or KIC Motorsport had hoped for.
– One major difference between Formula Regional and GT3-cars is driving in right behind the fellow competitor in front of you. In GT3-cars you have to be exactly behind so that you can utilize the aero. However in Formula cars there is no such thing. Formulas also don’t have DRS-system and therefore the driver needs to have more than two seconds gap in front to be able to drive for best result. As in in Monza there were 35 cars on driving 5,5 kilometres circuit, the two second gap -rule didn’t got fullfilled and therefore we lost tenths of seconds we had need to secure good results, Lappalainen tells.
– For Saturdays’ race the weather forecast showed possible rain and therefore we gambled with car setups by heavily increasing rear wing angle. This is how we wanted to have grip if the circuit went went. However as the rain didn’t come we were way to slow in straights and I decided to retire the race. Then in Sundays’ race we had several safety cars and in one restart I had a collision with a fellow driver and therefore I dropped into 30th position, Lappalainen shared his thoughts.
The star of the final weekend of Formula Regional by Alpine racing series was frech Hadrien David who rised into silver medal position after having a win and another third position. However not he or anyone else couldn’t do anything for swiss Gregoire Saucy who had secured his title in previous racing weekend. Finnish KIC Motorsport was 9th best team in the series.
Final results Formula Regional by Alpine 2021, Monza #1: Saturday 30.10.2021:
1. Hadrien David (FRA), 18 laps
2. Isack Hadjar (FRA), +1,159s
3. Zane Maloney (BAR), +2,561s
ret. Konsta Lappalainen, too much aero
Final results Formula Regional by Alpine 2021, Monza #2: Sunday 31.10.2021:
1. Isack Hadjar (FRA), 14 laps
2. Paul Aron (EST), +0,628s
3. Hadrien David (FRA), +1,038s
30. Konsta Lappalainen (FIN), +14,934s